Day One: Mules and Los Del Rio

 My first day in Spain started with a quick trip to the bakery, to get some fresh bread and a coffee. Still not brimming with confidence over my Spanish skills, but that was fine for now, I knew that after a couple of days of talking I would be back to my best. After finishing my breakfast I had a last thought about actually going through with the trip, and quickly realized that there was no way back, and I couldn't be more happy. My first stop was the cathedral, which was literally at the doorstep of my hotel, one of the reasons why I had chosen this specific one. I walked inside and spent some time admiring the work and detail put into this massive monument. A security guard gave me my first stamp of the trip, and I was off. 

Whats not to like about Sevilla?


Following the arrows out of the city centre was a bit easier than I had first feared, and in addition to the arrows I also had a map that led me in the right direction. The smell of freshly baked goods and the Spanish air in general was something I had missed since my last trip to Spain. It awakens a lot of different emotions for me, especially happiness and joy, as I connect the smell to all the memories I have from this beautiful country. One of my secret weapons to get me through the tougher days was my headphones and music, or a podcast. And as I walked through the streets of Sevilla and just enjoyed the nice weather and my first steps on the camino, the brothers from Los del Rio sang about how special Sevilla was, with their 'Sevilla tiene un color especial'. They certainly had a point, and when I finally left the concrete and sidewalks behind and started on the dirt road, I felt a mixture of sadness, for leaving this city, and curiosity for what lied ahead. There were some horses and mules along the dirt road, almost serving as a reminder that I now left the city and entered the countryside. 

My first friend

Santiponce is the first settlement you reach after Sevilla, and my motivation wasn't too bad as I walked through this quiet town. Luckily I had packed some lunch with the remainders of my breakfast, so I could keep going for a little longer before I took my first break. After crossing under the highway a couple of times I finally reached a dirt road that would lead me to my destination for the day, Guillena. My first big break of the day was on a big tire, where I had to nurse my first blister of the trip. Stupid as I was, I hadn't walked too much with my shoes and they were of course causing blisters on both feet. After putting on a band aid and finishing my bocadillo, I had some renewed energy to take me to my destination. The landscape were endless 'mesetas' going as far into the distance as the eye could see, but I kept going, and soon enough I saw Guillena in the distance. My first day had been just as I thought. Hard, as I tried to adapt to all the walking and my 10kg backpack, while at the same time refreshing and exciting as I had all these days of walking in front of me. 




I went to an albergue that I had pointed out in advance, which was called Luz del Camino, quite fitting if you ask me, and got my first proper pilgrim stay. One of my wonders about walking at this time of year was the amount of other pilgrims. Would there be many others? Were they also heading to Santiago, so I could expect to see them often? At first I thought I would be spending the night alone, but luckily a polish and a german guy came along. The polish guy was also walking, but the german guy was riding a bicycle, so I figured this would be the first and last time I saw him. They seemed like nice people, as I had come to realize most people are on the camino. We didn't talk too much as I was still a bit shy and insecure about my trip. After one of the worse self-made meals of the trip I went to bed, now knowing more of what it was like and what I should expect of the next day.

"Relajate, todo esta bien. Y si no esta bien, va a estar bien"
A quote that helped me all the way to Santiago



Comments

  1. As a fellow Via de la Plata pilgrim from last year - though we didn't coicide, I was on the Way at about the same time - I am going to be reading with great interest. Ultreia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to be joining you on the walk. I did it (Seville to Astorga) in 2017.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

A sneak peak

Day Zero: Leaving my family behind

Day Two: Olive trees and blisters